Saturday, November 23, 2013

big decision


wig hair

wiggity hair

no hair (mine grew back, his did not)
barely there hair
Been thinking about this post for a while now.  I've got a pretty poor sense of time, so it could have been weeks, or months, for all I know.  Either way, I went for a haircut last weekend.  As usual, I collected haircut ideas on my Pinterest board for a few days before my appointment.  And as I perused the celebrity style images online, I fought back the urge to cut it all off.

Can you believe this?  I actually want to cut my hair.  Like, really short.  Again.

The strange thing is that I also want long hair.  There's a back and forth I have with myself about this decision.  Long hair is nice to have.  It is soft and silky and impossible to have if you are receiving chemo (at least my kinda chemo).  Thus, my brain equates long hair to being the anti-cancer.

the pixie cut I never thought I'd have
Buuut.  Long hair requires a great deal of attention to keep it looking so lovely.  There are products, brushes, heat stylers, etc.  And time.  You must set aside large chunks of time for drying, brushing, washing, not-clogging-shower drains, straightening, you get the idea.  Do I want to spend all of my free time on my hair?  While I discovered a few years ago, ahem, that I can actually keep my hair supershort and it looks cuter than I ever would've suspected.  Short hair is SO freaking easy to care for.  It does require more frequent trimming, but that's about it.  Wash, slather product, wear.  The End.

Who would ever think hair holds this much value?  (Samson not included.)  It almost always grows back.

Well, for now, the verdict is to continue to grow it.  Sticking with long until at least next summer. Then -for hair and other life decisions- we will reassess.

All the survivors in the house:  I'm curious, how did you handle post-chemo hair?

hairy head

my best boy getting his hairs cut
ps. you can see why the newest addition to the oxford english dictionary is selfie.

No comments:

Post a Comment